Huge Studio Update: Vocal Booth installed

Today I have accomplished something pretty cool with the home studio. For Christmas I got an Amazon gift cart. So, I used it to order acoustic foam for the studio. But, when I ordered it I didn’t really have a plan on how I was going to use it.

Well, today it got put to use.

I spent the last week formulating a plan, bought the materials, made some legs at work, and waited for paint to dry. After a couple of coats the paint was dry and ready to go today.

With that, it was time to do some assembly.

image1

The only thing that I have actually been recording analog are vocal tracks. Because of this I felt the acoustic dampener foam would be best put to use creating a “simulated” vocal booth. It isn’t technically a vocal booth, but more of a half booth.

Here are some before and after photos of the progress for creating the booth.

image2

I realize that I have instruments sharing the same space as the booth. This could cause some resonance while recording, obviously. So, I plan to get a black blanket style mat to lay over the instruments while recording vocals to help dampen any resonance that may occur.

This set up may not be the best of situations, let alone “professional”. But I will say, it is bound to improve the vocal tracks immensely now that I have this new setup put together.

Here is another in process vs. completion comparison.

image3

I am eager to try it out and I am really happy with how it turned out, considering all I had to pay for was the lumber.

Studio updates are always exciting.