My bass guitar ate the dust for the last time. Over the course of the last few months I have been having issues with it. And well, after my third trip to the repair shop I was finally told I should probably just dig a hole and bury it.

And so, I did.

unnamed.jpg

As a result, I got a super slick 5 string.

I am really excited about this new bass. It has way more pop that the last one and I really do think it will bring a little more edge to the mix. Although this is an epic upgrade, there is a pretty lame downside. Now that I have upgraded the bass, all of the bass takes for the current EP that we are working on are no good. I now have four songs that will need to re-track all of the bass parts.

It’s annoying. But, in the long haul it’ll be worth it.

Studio upgrades are always fun!

Other than having a ton of people come over today to grill out with a water slide and trampoline for the kids on Labor Day, this weekend the wife and I got a lot done around the new house. We hung a lot of pictures and cleaned the place up. With that, I finally got some of my old band shirts from back in my tour days framed and hung up in the studio space as well. Not only that, but I gave my 8-string guitar and my bass the golden treatment with a cleanup and new strings. I recorded a little something with them last night just for fun, and they literally feel and sound like I just bought them.

Now that the upcoming album has been completed for a little more than three weeks, I haven’t taken a listen to it in a long while. With a fresh set of ears finally coming back to it, I have decided that I have made a “beginners” mixing mistake. I’ve mixed in way too much bottom end with the bass and the kick drum.

hqdefault

With that on the table, once my AC gets fixed, I am going to spend a few weeks doing a new mix down of the project before it gets released. I was happy with the project before, but now that I’ve stepped away from it and have come back… taking my time, I think I’ll be much happier with the entire thing since I’m taking it slow by not getting into a hurry to release it.

Lastly, since I will be taking a little longer to release the album I thought I would go ahead and show off the upcoming album artwork. The concept was something that Russell wanted to do. His sketch didn’t look quite like this… but it was his sketch that made me decide to go with this design mock-up.

full-lengthCD

editings

Well, I just spent four hours working on pre-vocal post editing on the back end for this upcoming full length release. Since Russell came in to do some recording recently, I was able to do a final mix down on the one song that we did complete. As a result, I was able to come to a solid mix that I am really happy with for that one song. It has a lot more punch to it than my last EP, Ignorance is Woe.

Since that one song was at the final mix stage, I spent the last several hours transferring the mix settings from that song to all of the songs on the upcoming album. I am really happy with the guitar tones. The kick drum is nice and punchy, too.

Although Russell and I were able to crank out one song, we both agreed that we will be re-recording the vocals for that one when we come in to begin tackling the other songs. We learned a lot about the type of work flow that we will be using together during the recording process. Because of that, we both agreed that we think we can get some much stronger takes the second time around. I am really excited about it… which is why I am in here working on post edit back end stuff in the studio like a madman.