Labor Day | Studio Update |Cleaning House

Other than having a ton of people come over today to grill out with a water slide and trampoline for the kids on Labor Day, this weekend the wife and I got a lot done around the new house. We hung a lot of pictures and cleaned the place up. With that, I finally got some of my old band shirts from back in my tour days framed and hung up in the studio space as well. Not only that, but I gave my 8-string guitar and my bass the golden treatment with a cleanup and new strings. I recorded a little something with them last night just for fun, and they literally feel and sound like I just bought them.

Too Much Bass and a Cover Art Reveal

Now that the upcoming album has been completed for a little more than three weeks, I haven’t taken a listen to it in a long while. With a fresh set of ears finally coming back to it, I have decided that I have made a “beginners” mixing mistake. I’ve mixed in way too much bottom end with the bass and the kick drum.

hqdefault

With that on the table, once my AC gets fixed, I am going to spend a few weeks doing a new mix down of the project before it gets released. I was happy with the project before, but now that I’ve stepped away from it and have come back… taking my time, I think I’ll be much happier with the entire thing since I’m taking it slow by not getting into a hurry to release it.

Lastly, since I will be taking a little longer to release the album I thought I would go ahead and show off the upcoming album artwork. The concept was something that Russell wanted to do. His sketch didn’t look quite like this… but it was his sketch that made me decide to go with this design mock-up.

full-lengthCD

Home Recording Studio Overhaul Photos

Now that I am finished mixing and mastering for the upcoming full length release, I thought it was time to do a little remodeling in the home studio space. Seemed like as a good a time as any. Logically speaking it was the best time. I’d rather be unplugging and moving stuff around in between projects rather than during one.

So, that’s what I did. Got a brand new table set up so that my monitors would be at the proper position. I also got a guitar rack so that I could put all of those clunky cases in the attic.

Here’s the before and after…

BEFORE-AND-AFTER.png

I am very excited about the upgrade, because this new table has twice the space as the old one. Imagine having a laptop opened up and running in the midst of all that stuff on the smaller table. It was a cluster to say the least. That top table was so short that I couldn’t even put my legs under it, for crying out loud.

A clean work space is a happy one.

Website updates are complete

I don’t even want to know how many man hours I have put into updating this website layout now that I have a new band member and an upcoming full length album to pitch to labels soon. I spent the last three or four nights staying up “waaaayyyy” past my normal bed time getting this thing laid out to completion.

done.png

But, it is finally done. And now, with that phase of the new release completed, I can get back to doing the final edits and mix-down for the upcoming release. Since today is Sunday, August the 4th… I think I will be ready to pitch to labels by Sunday the 18th at the latest.

Fingers crossed of course.

Photo shoot pictures in preparation for new release

This week Russell and I took a few photos to prep the website for a revamp while also having a few extra to put together with the EPK packet that we plan to put together soon. This EPK will be used to pitch the upcoming album to a few different record labels.

But anyhow, with no further ado… here are the few photos that I’ve taken the time to actually edit.