Bass Distortion VST Plugins for Cubase

While I am waiting to hear back from labels on the upcoming full length release that Russell and I just finished, I decided to re-organize a few things. As per my previous post, the studio got an overhaul with the new table and case. But, I’ve been doing a different type of organization.

I have been busy moving files and folders around on my computer to make space for future projects. And with that, I created a new recording template using my current mix down on the new full length. However, I want to change things up this next time around. I learned a lot with this upcoming release on the mixing and mastering front. And although I am really happy with how it turned out I am already thinking of a few things I want to do differently on the next go-round.

So, I’ve been looking at VST bass distortion plugins.

Free-VST-Plugins-min-843x422

I had a particular one in mind a while back, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me. I’ve been looking, but to no avail. Today I spent about an hour messing with the presets in Cubase to see what I could come up with. I would really like to get a nice thick Djent tone. I will probably spend the next week or two doing some homework before I decide on one.

Home Recording Studio Overhaul Photos

Now that I am finished mixing and mastering for the upcoming full length release, I thought it was time to do a little remodeling in the home studio space. Seemed like as a good a time as any. Logically speaking it was the best time. I’d rather be unplugging and moving stuff around in between projects rather than during one.

So, that’s what I did. Got a brand new table set up so that my monitors would be at the proper position. I also got a guitar rack so that I could put all of those clunky cases in the attic.

Here’s the before and after…

BEFORE-AND-AFTER.png

I am very excited about the upgrade, because this new table has twice the space as the old one. Imagine having a laptop opened up and running in the midst of all that stuff on the smaller table. It was a cluster to say the least. That top table was so short that I couldn’t even put my legs under it, for crying out loud.

A clean work space is a happy one.

Full length Album Update – Vocal Tracking

unnamed.jpg

So far Russell and I have knocked out two tracks with eight more to go.

We have set up a schedule that we hope to keep. If we managed to do so, we should have the record ready for final post edits and mastering by the end of August. I am really happy with how the first two songs have turned out. With the vocals done on those two tracks, the songs are finally coming to life.

We are both learning a lot about the recording process, and works best for the both of us. And, we are already talking out ideas for future projects.

With that said, and the likelihood of a release in the very near future, we have both also been discussing album artwork for the upcoming release. I have designed about half a dozen cover mock-ups so far. But, we haven’t settled on any particular one just yet. Once we are done with recording and have reached the mastering stage, we will likely start to crack down on which album artwork we intend to go with. Chances are, we will have quite a few more album cover concepts to pick from by then.

Other than all of that, things have been going pretty smooth. Russell and I have also gotten a chance to get to know each other outside of just sitting in the studio laying down tracks. He is a pretty cool dude. I definitely see myself partnering with him on future projects.

I am excited to knock this project out!

Album Pre-Vocal Post Edit Madness Complete

editings

Well, I just spent four hours working on pre-vocal post editing on the back end for this upcoming full length release. Since Russell came in to do some recording recently, I was able to do a final mix down on the one song that we did complete. As a result, I was able to come to a solid mix that I am really happy with for that one song. It has a lot more punch to it than my last EP, Ignorance is Woe.

Since that one song was at the final mix stage, I spent the last several hours transferring the mix settings from that song to all of the songs on the upcoming album. I am really happy with the guitar tones. The kick drum is nice and punchy, too.

Although Russell and I were able to crank out one song, we both agreed that we will be re-recording the vocals for that one when we come in to begin tackling the other songs. We learned a lot about the type of work flow that we will be using together during the recording process. Because of that, we both agreed that we think we can get some much stronger takes the second time around. I am really excited about it… which is why I am in here working on post edit back end stuff in the studio like a madman.