My bass guitar ate the dust for the last time. Over the course of the last few months I have been having issues with it. And well, after my third trip to the repair shop I was finally told I should probably just dig a hole and bury it.

And so, I did.

unnamed.jpg

As a result, I got a super slick 5 string.

I am really excited about this new bass. It has way more pop that the last one and I really do think it will bring a little more edge to the mix. Although this is an epic upgrade, there is a pretty lame downside. Now that I have upgraded the bass, all of the bass takes for the current EP that we are working on are no good. I now have four songs that will need to re-track all of the bass parts.

It’s annoying. But, in the long haul it’ll be worth it.

Studio upgrades are always fun!

Other than having a ton of people come over today to grill out with a water slide and trampoline for the kids on Labor Day, this weekend the wife and I got a lot done around the new house. We hung a lot of pictures and cleaned the place up. With that, I finally got some of my old band shirts from back in my tour days framed and hung up in the studio space as well. Not only that, but I gave my 8-string guitar and my bass the golden treatment with a cleanup and new strings. I recorded a little something with them last night just for fun, and they literally feel and sound like I just bought them.

While I am waiting to hear back from labels on the upcoming full length release that Russell and I just finished, I decided to re-organize a few things. As per my previous post, the studio got an overhaul with the new table and case. But, I’ve been doing a different type of organization.

I have been busy moving files and folders around on my computer to make space for future projects. And with that, I created a new recording template using my current mix down on the new full length. However, I want to change things up this next time around. I learned a lot with this upcoming release on the mixing and mastering front. And although I am really happy with how it turned out I am already thinking of a few things I want to do differently on the next go-round.

So, I’ve been looking at VST bass distortion plugins.

Free-VST-Plugins-min-843x422

I had a particular one in mind a while back, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me. I’ve been looking, but to no avail. Today I spent about an hour messing with the presets in Cubase to see what I could come up with. I would really like to get a nice thick Djent tone. I will probably spend the next week or two doing some homework before I decide on one.

unnamed

It may not be much to look at, but the studio is back up now that we are finally moved. Simple and to the point, I always say.

We still have a lot going on now that we are moved. We’ve had everyone come over that you can think of; electricians, A/C repair, plumbers, fencing people, gas, etc. It’s been an extremely busy last few days for sure… and we still have a long way to go before we’re totally done and settled in.

Either way, I thought I would drop in and slap up a post since I haven’t done that yet this month. Hopefully in the coming months I’ll lock down a vocalist for the 10 song full length release that’s currently just sitting there on my hard drive waiting patiently to be finished.

I would hope that it’s a given, but I’ve got to say… there are a couple of really solid breakdowns on this one.

This morning, before taking off to do the Mother’s Day festivities, I put together a real quick youtube video for the first release I did once the new home studio was put together. It isn’t anything super fantastic. But, I did find out that I can put these simplistic videos together for free with an existing app found on my PC. So… that’s pretty cool.

I have ten new songs in the works. Once we get totally moved in to the new house I will be working toward releasing my first full length album in nearly a decade. I am pretty excited about it. Other than this, I still have a lot to learn about how to do the back end editing in Cubase.