Bass Distortion VST Plugins for Cubase

While I am waiting to hear back from labels on the upcoming full length release that Russell and I just finished, I decided to re-organize a few things. As per my previous post, the studio got an overhaul with the new table and case. But, I’ve been doing a different type of organization.

I have been busy moving files and folders around on my computer to make space for future projects. And with that, I created a new recording template using my current mix down on the new full length. However, I want to change things up this next time around. I learned a lot with this upcoming release on the mixing and mastering front. And although I am really happy with how it turned out I am already thinking of a few things I want to do differently on the next go-round.

So, I’ve been looking at VST bass distortion plugins.

Free-VST-Plugins-min-843x422

I had a particular one in mind a while back, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me. I’ve been looking, but to no avail. Today I spent about an hour messing with the presets in Cubase to see what I could come up with. I would really like to get a nice thick Djent tone. I will probably spend the next week or two doing some homework before I decide on one.

Home Recording Studio Overhaul Photos

Now that I am finished mixing and mastering for the upcoming full length release, I thought it was time to do a little remodeling in the home studio space. Seemed like as a good a time as any. Logically speaking it was the best time. I’d rather be unplugging and moving stuff around in between projects rather than during one.

So, that’s what I did. Got a brand new table set up so that my monitors would be at the proper position. I also got a guitar rack so that I could put all of those clunky cases in the attic.

Here’s the before and after…

BEFORE-AND-AFTER.png

I am very excited about the upgrade, because this new table has twice the space as the old one. Imagine having a laptop opened up and running in the midst of all that stuff on the smaller table. It was a cluster to say the least. That top table was so short that I couldn’t even put my legs under it, for crying out loud.

A clean work space is a happy one.

Tracking for the New album is Complete

Well, we finished tracking for the new full length album. I am super excited, because we finished several weeks earlier than I expected too. Not only was today a recording session, but a writing one as well. Today we wrote and recorded lyrics off the cuff. And I have to say, Russell came though. Because today’s lyrics are probably my favorite ones on the album.

unnamed.jpg

I plan to spend the next few weeks doing edits and a final mix down on everything.

Other than all of the post edit and mastering (which I am still a total newb at), we are getting ready to start pitching to labels soon. Album artwork is done. Recording is done. Between now and post production finals we plan to get some promo photos around town to be sure we look the part.

Yeah, you know. lol

Anyway, getting this home studio up and running has been a lot of fun. I’ve very happy to have gotten it off the ground. Just wondering why I waited so long to do it.

I am burnt out on mixing!!!

mixing.png

Now that Russell and I are more than half way done laying down the vocal takes I have been busy. I just spent the last six hours mixing down and editing all of the songs that we have done so far while also working on cleaning up the vocal tones and EQ.

I am burnt out on editing.

Since I am really satisfied with how these songs sound, the rest of the songs won’t be nearly as time consuming to edit and mix. That’s a good thing for me, because I think I definitely have sound fatigue right now after such a long editing session. Also, I am burnt out on looking at a computer screen.

All this time and effort though is totally going to be worth it.

The closer we get to being finished, the more excited I am getting. The first full length album in seven years.

It’s going to be a great feeling.

Full length Album Update – Vocal Tracking

unnamed.jpg

So far Russell and I have knocked out two tracks with eight more to go.

We have set up a schedule that we hope to keep. If we managed to do so, we should have the record ready for final post edits and mastering by the end of August. I am really happy with how the first two songs have turned out. With the vocals done on those two tracks, the songs are finally coming to life.

We are both learning a lot about the recording process, and works best for the both of us. And, we are already talking out ideas for future projects.

With that said, and the likelihood of a release in the very near future, we have both also been discussing album artwork for the upcoming release. I have designed about half a dozen cover mock-ups so far. But, we haven’t settled on any particular one just yet. Once we are done with recording and have reached the mastering stage, we will likely start to crack down on which album artwork we intend to go with. Chances are, we will have quite a few more album cover concepts to pick from by then.

Other than all of that, things have been going pretty smooth. Russell and I have also gotten a chance to get to know each other outside of just sitting in the studio laying down tracks. He is a pretty cool dude. I definitely see myself partnering with him on future projects.

I am excited to knock this project out!