Now that the upcoming album has been completed for a little more than three weeks, I haven’t taken a listen to it in a long while. With a fresh set of ears finally coming back to it, I have decided that I have made a “beginners” mixing mistake. I’ve mixed in way too much bottom end with the bass and the kick drum.
With that on the table, once my AC gets fixed, I am going to spend a few weeks doing a new mix down of the project before it gets released. I was happy with the project before, but now that I’ve stepped away from it and have come back… taking my time, I think I’ll be much happier with the entire thing since I’m taking it slow by not getting into a hurry to release it.
Lastly, since I will be taking a little longer to release the album I thought I would go ahead and show off the upcoming album artwork. The concept was something that Russell wanted to do. His sketch didn’t look quite like this… but it was his sketch that made me decide to go with this design mock-up.
While I am waiting to hear back from labels on the upcoming full length release that Russell and I just finished, I decided to re-organize a few things. As per my previous post, the studio got an overhaul with the new table and case. But, I’ve been doing a different type of organization.
I have been busy moving files and folders around on my computer to make space for future projects. And with that, I created a new recording template using my current mix down on the new full length. However, I want to change things up this next time around. I learned a lot with this upcoming release on the mixing and mastering front. And although I am really happy with how it turned out I am already thinking of a few things I want to do differently on the next go-round.
So, I’ve been looking at VST bass distortion plugins.
I had a particular one in mind a while back, but I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me. I’ve been looking, but to no avail. Today I spent about an hour messing with the presets in Cubase to see what I could come up with. I would really like to get a nice thick Djent tone. I will probably spend the next week or two doing some homework before I decide on one.
Now that I am finished mixing and mastering for the upcoming full length release, I thought it was time to do a little remodeling in the home studio space. Seemed like as a good a time as any. Logically speaking it was the best time. I’d rather be unplugging and moving stuff around in between projects rather than during one.
So, that’s what I did. Got a brand new table set up so that my monitors would be at the proper position. I also got a guitar rack so that I could put all of those clunky cases in the attic.
Here’s the before and after…
I am very excited about the upgrade, because this new table has twice the space as the old one. Imagine having a laptop opened up and running in the midst of all that stuff on the smaller table. It was a cluster to say the least. That top table was so short that I couldn’t even put my legs under it, for crying out loud.
A clean work space is a happy one.
Well, we finished tracking for the new full length album. I am super excited, because we finished several weeks earlier than I expected too. Not only was today a recording session, but a writing one as well. Today we wrote and recorded lyrics off the cuff. And I have to say, Russell came though. Because today’s lyrics are probably my favorite ones on the album.
I plan to spend the next few weeks doing edits and a final mix down on everything.
Other than all of the post edit and mastering (which I am still a total newb at), we are getting ready to start pitching to labels soon. Album artwork is done. Recording is done. Between now and post production finals we plan to get some promo photos around town to be sure we look the part.
Yeah, you know. lol
Anyway, getting this home studio up and running has been a lot of fun. I’ve very happy to have gotten it off the ground. Just wondering why I waited so long to do it.