Now that I am finished mixing and mastering for the upcoming full length release, I thought it was time to do a little remodeling in the home studio space. Seemed like as a good a time as any. Logically speaking it was the best time. I’d rather be unplugging and moving stuff around in between projects rather than during one.

So, that’s what I did. Got a brand new table set up so that my monitors would be at the proper position. I also got a guitar rack so that I could put all of those clunky cases in the attic.

Here’s the before and after…

BEFORE-AND-AFTER.png

I am very excited about the upgrade, because this new table has twice the space as the old one. Imagine having a laptop opened up and running in the midst of all that stuff on the smaller table. It was a cluster to say the least. That top table was so short that I couldn’t even put my legs under it, for crying out loud.

A clean work space is a happy one.

I don’t even want to know how many man hours I have put into updating this website layout now that I have a new band member and an upcoming full length album to pitch to labels soon. I spent the last three or four nights staying up “waaaayyyy” past my normal bed time getting this thing laid out to completion.

done.png

But, it is finally done. And now, with that phase of the new release completed, I can get back to doing the final edits and mix-down for the upcoming release. Since today is Sunday, August the 4th… I think I will be ready to pitch to labels by Sunday the 18th at the latest.

Fingers crossed of course.

Thought I would drop in real quick with an update since I’ve got nothing better to do right now. I came down with a little bug and I took the day off from work. Since I am laid up in bed in my PJ’s with a fever and runny nose, I might as well post a quick little something.

images.jpg

Russell and I have been working really hard to get this project done. We only have one more vocal session left before we are done tracking. Because of this, I have started working on final edits on some of the songs that are done. By the time we sit down and do the final set of vocal takes, I will likely have a final mix down figured out for the album.

vocal-recording-tips-for-home-studio-738x492

If we get the final session completed next week, I am hoping we will be ready to start pitching to record labels by the end of August. This means that we have a lot to do before that time. We will need to finalize album artwork, get some promo photos done, etc.

We have already locked down one album cover that we really like. And, we have picked out a few places around town to take some pictures.

Lots to do.

I am excited about this album and working with Russell.

editings

Well, I just spent four hours working on pre-vocal post editing on the back end for this upcoming full length release. Since Russell came in to do some recording recently, I was able to do a final mix down on the one song that we did complete. As a result, I was able to come to a solid mix that I am really happy with for that one song. It has a lot more punch to it than my last EP, Ignorance is Woe.

Since that one song was at the final mix stage, I spent the last several hours transferring the mix settings from that song to all of the songs on the upcoming album. I am really happy with the guitar tones. The kick drum is nice and punchy, too.

Although Russell and I were able to crank out one song, we both agreed that we will be re-recording the vocals for that one when we come in to begin tackling the other songs. We learned a lot about the type of work flow that we will be using together during the recording process. Because of that, we both agreed that we think we can get some much stronger takes the second time around. I am really excited about it… which is why I am in here working on post edit back end stuff in the studio like a madman.