Well, after taking the time to put together the vocal booth I have decided once again to make a few changes to the studio space. It’s a little hard to have something prefect, because technically this space is also a guest bedroom and craft room all rolled into one. So, I am doing the best with what I’ve got to work with. I am still going to be using the vocal booth space, but I have decided to change it up a little.

Vocal-Booth-1-1280x484

I am going to do what I can to post some before and after photos of the changes I decided to make. But, for now I thought I would explain my vocal booth experience thus far.

I really like the change in recording quality. But, the way that I have it set up right now as the person doing the recording, and tracking, it is a lot of work for me to press record, walk into the booth, put on headphones… record my takes, and then take the headphones off… step out of the booth… and then sit back down. I know, it may seem like I am being nitpicky. But it really does become a hassle when the writing process is happening during the recording session itself.

The current set up is just cramping the writing process when tracking vocals.

The only thing is, in order for my idea to work, I am going to have to make a custom swivel mic stand that is strong enough to hold everything that is on it.

Like I said, I’ll post before and after photos once I’ve gotten it figured out.

71Ri5Ayn+lL._SL1000_

Alright, time for a small studio update.

I finally ordered some acoustic foam for the recording space. I got the 50 pack from Amazon because I felt like it was pretty solid price for the quantity. The thing is, I’m not really sure how I am going to go about setting up any of it, because my studio space isn’t really a “studio space”. It’s more of a guest room with my gear in one corner of the room.

aid9780590-v4-728px-Hang-Acoustic-Foam-Step-1

But, that’s not really the issue. The place that I would want to put this stuff up is over a few windows. And, I just don’t think that’s really going to go over well with what is happening with the rest of the room. The room triples as a guest room, studio space, and painting area for my wife to create art. It’s not claustrophobic, but it is cramped. Besides, the only thing that I actually record analog in are vocals. And I already have a foam dampener around the mic. But, it isn’t enough.

Which is why I ordered the 50 pack.

You may not be able to personally tell when listening to the free EP that I recently released, From the Heart, but I can. In quite a few places on each song a lot of background noise gets caught up in with the vocal tracks. This is primarily due to the fact that I am screaming pretty loudly in a small room that has two walls that are essentially big glass windows. The bounce back is pretty high in the room.

So, I was thinking two options. One, I rearrange the room a little and foam up one corner of the room creating a permanent vocal recording space. The other option is going to be to create a collapsible vocal wall that I can store in the closet and just set up when needed. I don’t think it will help a lot. But, I think it will help enough to make a difference in comparison to the quality of what I’ve done so far.

Once I get them in and decide on a direction, I’ll post some pictures up to show how it all turned out.

It’s only been three weeks since I got the new six string guitar and the writing sessions have been going strong for the new indie-rock stuff.

unnamed.jpg

In three weeks I’ve got three songs that I’m pretty happy with. That’s essentially one song a week. It hasn’t actually panned out to be one song each week. There has been a little overlapping happening. But still, three songs in three weeks feels pretty good. If I keep this up I’ll be ready to start doing some real editing and mixing on a post-hardcore art rock EP before you know it.

Well, I got a new guitar last night. It may not be anything super special, but I got it for free-fifty-free. The squire is probably only worth about $130. I am at that point with writing that I am ready to go back to working on softer stuff here and there (indie-rock), but the only electric I have is the 8-string. So, last night I took a bunch of my old tour gear out of the closest and went to Guitar Center. I had a specific guitar in mind, but they didn’t buy nearly as much stuff from me as I expected them to. So, I went with what I could walk out with free of charge.

I messed with it last night a little in the studio, and it actually sounds pretty good. Even got a little something-something recorded that I like.

unnamed.jpg

Now I have two options in the studio (record deathcore or indie). Going to have to start getting these old vocals warmed up. I haven’t done any real singing since my tour days.

My bass guitar ate the dust for the last time. Over the course of the last few months I have been having issues with it. And well, after my third trip to the repair shop I was finally told I should probably just dig a hole and bury it.

And so, I did.

unnamed.jpg

As a result, I got a super slick 5 string.

I am really excited about this new bass. It has way more pop that the last one and I really do think it will bring a little more edge to the mix. Although this is an epic upgrade, there is a pretty lame downside. Now that I have upgraded the bass, all of the bass takes for the current EP that we are working on are no good. I now have four songs that will need to re-track all of the bass parts.

It’s annoying. But, in the long haul it’ll be worth it.

Studio upgrades are always fun!